Saturday, February 20, 2016


Ang ProLife Partylist nominee Atty. Jan Lumanta: Lawyer and Agricultural Economist



Attorney with a library of booksAng Prolife Partylist nominee and Secretary General Atty. Jan Lumanta

Atty. Jan Louenn Lumanta finished his BS in Agricultural Economics at UP Los Banos and his Bachelor of Laws at Andres Bonifacio College in Dipolog City, graduating in the latter as Class Valedictorian. He is currently taking his Master of Public Administration at UP Diliman, while at the same time working as Junior Associate in Mata-Perez & Francisco Attorneys-at-Law in Makati. He also used to teach Economics and Research at Dipolog Medical Center College Foundation. Atty. Jan Louenn Lumanta is Ang Prolife Partylist’s Secretary General and Third Nominee for the May 2016 elections.
Below is an interview with Atty Jan Louen Lumanta regarding his nomination and his plans.
1. What is your educational and work background?
Here’s a summary of my educational and work background:
  • Educational Background
  • Master of Public Administration student, University of the Philippines Diliman (2013-present)
  • Bachelor of Laws, Andres Bonifacio College School of Law-Dipolog City, Class Valedictorian (2009-2013)
  • Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Economics, University of the Philippines Los Banos, College Scholar (2004-2008)
  • Work Background
  • Junior Associate, Mata-Perez & Francisco Attorneys-at-Law, Makati (2014-present)
  • Economics and Research Instructor, Dipolog Medical Center College Foundation, Dipolog City (2009-2012)

Atty. Jan Lumanta files his Certificate of Candidacy for Ang ProLife Partylist at COMELEC last October 15, 2015. Atty. Jan Lumanta files his Certificate of Candidacy for Ang ProLife Partylist at COMELEC last October 15, 2015.

2. Who invited you to join the Ang ProLife PartyList? What attracted you to join the group?
I was invited by Engr. Eric Manalang, the President of Prolife Philippines, Atty. James Imbong, legal counsel of Ang Prolife Partylist, and Mr. Lito David to join Ang Prolife.
I joined the group in order to answer the call and accept the challenge of Pope Francis to meddle in politics, especially during this time when human life is threatened, the institution of the family is destroyed, and faith in God is taken for granted and disrespected.  I was not only invited as a Third Nominee.  I was also invited to be the Secretary General of Ang Prolife.
3. How were you nominated to serve as Party List representative in Congress? How did you feel at that time? What made you decide to accept the nomination?
I was nominated by the members of the party in accordance with the provisions of Republic Act No. 7941 (Party List System Act). I was surprised when I was nominated because I did not accept that I would be nominated when I am still 28 years old.  Nonetheless,  I accepted the nomination because I believe that we need more pro-lifers in Congress and I also believe that I can be a good legislator with my good background in law and economics.  In the next Congress, divorce bills and bills that would promote same sex unions would be introduced.  We need to oppose these bills.  We need to oppose anti-life, anti-family, anti-Filipino, and anti-God bills.  For that, we want to participate in the deliberations, in the debate, and in the voting.

Three men with picture of Pope John Paul IIAtty. Jan Lumanta with Catholic Faith Defenders–Davao Chapter

4. How did your nomination affect your family and friends? How did they receive the news?
I discussed the matter first with my family before I accepted the nomination.  Since my father, mother, and sister are also prolife, they did not hesitate to give me their support.  My friends, especially my fellow pro-lifers and my kababayans in Zamboanga del Norte, were very glad and excited when I announced that I filed my Certificate of Acceptance as Third Nominee of Ang Prolife Partylist.
5. How do you conduct your campaigns? What are the places you went to so far?
We campaign through the help of our members who are also members of our support groups such as the Soldiers of Christ Catholic Charismatic Movement in Luzon, Ang Diyos Gugma Catholic Charismatic Community in the Ilonggo/Hiligaynon speaking regions in the Visayas, Servants Communities in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao areas, and Filipinos for Life.  We have also asked the support of Family and Life workers and lay leaders in every provinces.  We campaign through our website, Facebook pages, and twitter account in addition to our campaign sorties in selected provinces.  We have also tapped various religious and political radio programs all over the country to promote Ang Prolife Partylist.

Atty. Jan Lumanta with Catholic Faith Defenders at Radyo Ukay in Davao City last Jan 16, 2016.Atty. Jan Lumanta with Catholic Faith Defenders at Radyo Ukay in Davao City last Jan 16, 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment